Friday, June 10, 2016

7 Means of Attention-Seeking I Find Uncomfortable

I often wonder what I’m willing to do to get attention. I'm mean really, isn't that the point of marketing? What tactics are fair? Which ones are moral? Is there a line? Should there be? I proclaim, "yes." Yet, I’m not sure where to draw certain lines. I kind of want my stuff to stand for itself. I just want to do the creative work, but don't want to tell everyone to look at it. But, marketing just doesn’t work that way. So, I thought of 7 things I feel uncomfortable doing in order to get attention. I will not say there is anything wrong, or unjustified in some of these marketing techniques, in fact, the more I research, the more I realize some things on this list are necessary. Yet, I still do find others reprehensible.

Tying myself to a charity
“All proceeds will…” This is a very popular marketing gimmick, and maybe I’m wrong for thinking the way I do about it. I mean, don’t we live in a quid pro quo culture? Why not help oneself if it helps others? But, when an organization does this, it doesn’t really seem as if it is about the charity. It’s feels like a self-serving double-propping: making money from letting everyone know how virtuous it is.


Being offensive, controversial, or provocative solely for the sake of being offensive, controversial, or provocative
There is a difference between being honest and shoving ideas in others' faces, like an artsy teen. I have things to say that many would find controversial, even offensive. And, I do want to ask tough, probing questions that get at the root of what we believe. But I would prefer to bring forth my message in a way that gets people to contemplate, as opposed to goads--if possible. Besides, the only ones that really cling to such in-your-face attentions-getting tactics are like-minded ilk. And, I’m not necessarily trying to cater to the like-minded.
Repetition
I once read that the secret to get gobs of twitter followers was to tweet often. One, I don’t have the time or computer access to compete with the bulk of twits. Two, what am I supposed to say? Do I say the same thing over and over again? I tend to assume, if no one responds the first time, my words probably weren’t anything anyone wanted to hear.  Or, do I just say every vain babbling that comes into my head, hoping that something finally resonates with someone? That can’t be a good strategy for me, a man that has the tendency to foot/mouth my words. I need time (lots of it often) to think about what I say before I say. (My wife will agree.) But, this is most likely a losing strategy. It seems the number one marketing rule is repetition. And, I know with as fast as people spew out blather, it is quite likely that my words have gotten lost.  Sometimes, repetition is the only way to get an idea’s buds the light of sun.
Asking for help, or asking for attention
Again, this is most likely the worst set of discomforts I have. Why am I afraid to ask for help? I don’t think it is because I’m afraid people will say ‘no’. I’m afraid they will say ‘yes’ begrudgingly. I don’t want to make my passions a burden for others. I want to create something others enjoy, something that makes people think. And, another reason I’m afraid to ask for help is because I might not hear what I want to hear. Like, “Don’t quit your day job.” (Night job in my case.)
Catering
Leopold constantly reminded his son Mozart to not neglect the popular.  But, what if I don’t like the popular? Either mainstream or literary. If I don’t like what everyone else likes, do I really think I can get people to accept what I think they should like? I wonder if some authors create a shell of arrogance, by saying their unliked works are unliked solely because an audience isn't sophisticated enough to like it? Yet, I still create to meet an unmet demand: myself.
Flattery
I’ll be the first to admit, I need to be better about saying encouraging words to others. But, I don’t want to give empty compliments to others in order to manipulate them into beaming a spotlight on me. And, vice versa. Plus, I don’t want to comment on other people’s posts solely to prop myself. I want to actually be interested, and have something to offer the conversation.  
Risk-taking
I don’t think many really like taking risks. When it concerns my personal well-being, I am not as fearful. But, when others are dependent on me… Sometimes I tell myself, if I thought the way I do now, as I did when I was single… Maybe I would have… How could I possibly justify throwing time and money into a writing venture, when three children under seven depending on me to provide? Of course, I do not only worry about the financial aspect, there's identity issues as well. If I dare to say, 'look at me' and people do, but mock instead, what now? But, I need to remind myself, no matter what I do, I'm going to look like a fool to someone. For, I am guilty of staring at a great gob of 'successful' people and saying, "What fools."

Do you agree with this? Is there another attention-seeking method that makes you feel uncomfortable. I'd love to hear your comments below.  

No comments:

Post a Comment