Thursday, May 19, 2016

Inexpensive Bed Frame


For the longest time, my wife and I had kept without a frame. Buying a frame, just wasn't a priority within a our tight budget. However, recent events came up and we thought it would be good to have one. So, if you're looking for a quick, simple, and inexpensive bed frame, try what I did. Using my spare lumber and the wood I bought, this project only cost me 20 dollars and took me about 3 hours to accomplish. And, it did not require any complex woodworking tools. 


For materials, you will need five 2x4's and several 1x3's depending on the size of your mattress. The mattress I based this frame on, is a queen.  
Measure the width and length of your mattress. Using the 2x4's, make a wooden frame slightly larger. Make sure the longer (and nicer looking, if you're using leftover wood) side is on the outside. 
Before you add the 1x3's make sure each corner is square.
Attach your 1x3's. Start with the ends, and then do the middle. To get an even spread, add 1x3's to the middle of each new gap. 
You can lay the wood either the long way or the short. I chose the long because, it is a more efficient use of the 8ft long 1x3's. Whichever direction you choose, make sure the middle support 2x4 is perpendicular to your 1x3's.
Once your 1x3's are in place, screw a small piece of 2x4 to each corner. You should have leftovers from your frame. You will likely have to drill a pilot hole. (I split my first 2x4 without one.) 
Add a 2x4 the same size to each corner. One screw will do.
Add a couple more to the center support. 
To the foot of the bed, attach a decorative piece of wood large enough to create a lip to hold the mattress in place. I used a 1x12 reclaimed-wood board. Then stain (and if you wish sand and varnish) the outside 2x4's, 1x3's, and footboard. 
For the headboard, take two decorative boards and attach them to two 2x4's of your desired height. I wanted my headboard to fit underneath a window.
On the back side of the headboard, spread leftover sections of your 1x3's between the decorative boards. Then stain.
When finished, leaving the headboard separate, bring the frame to your room. Once in your room, use 3 inch or longer screws to attach your headboard to your frame. For a more secure hold, make sure to screw through the 2x4 of the head board and the 2x4 of the frame. 

Did you try this project or something similar? Let me know. How did you get creative with your headboard and footboards? What materials would you suggest using? Logs? Upholstered? What about an old metal sign? 

No comments:

Post a Comment