Wednesday, May 16, 2018

Master and Friend: Exploring the Music from Zaide

In spite, what some tell us… There are some lions we cannot tame alone. There are some bullies we cannot crush, unless the bully’s very own buds stand against him. There are some afflictions we cannot bear. Beneath all the layers of faked out 80’s tough guy or shells of sarcastic cynicism, many of us have come to the point where we know we can’t beat that Goliath. It could be something as simple as a goal, or as challenging as a battle with cancer. In those times, our only refuge is the rescue of a more powerful or knowledgeable party.

So imagine, in the midst of our hyperventilated-sobbing despair, someone trudges through the muck to assist. What are our typical reactions?

Continuing my Zaide ponderings, such feelings arise as I think of Allazim’s aria, Herr und Freund (Master and Friend). Allazim is a slavemaster. He’s tasked with keeping the slaves in line. But when he catches Gomatz pursuing his love for Zaide, his job is to punish Gomatz, even though the man has done nothing wrong. To do anything else would mean certain death—for both Gomatz and Allazim. (At least, if caught.) Yet, Allazim offers mercy. He doesn’t offer a clear and absolute solution, but he vows to do anything he can to help free Gomatz and Zaide. Herr und Freund is Gomatz’s reaction to Allazim’s sacrificial act of kindness.

The music plays with emotions in a way only Mozart can do. To describe it best, I would say this aria is one of joyful crying. But not in the manner of Bach, as if to say, “I’m suffering this horrible trial, but I have found peace through it.” But more as if to say, “I’m going through this horrible trial, and I’m so miserably happy that you’re willing to go through it with me. I’m helpless. I can’t do this alone, and you’re actions have given me hope, even if I still have no chance of escaping this trial.” The music is that of a man on his knees, sobbing, repeating his thanks.




What's more interesting was the melodies from this song come from something he wrote when he was 11. Gosh... 11! I can't think of loving something some much that I created at that age I would still use today. In fact, he used the melody two other times, before he inserted it into Zaide. Form one his his first operas, Apollo et Hyancinthus--the aria Natus cadit atque Deus--and and his 26th symphony--the second movement. Amazing.
 The backstory curiosity in me wonders how a slave and a slavemaster managed to become such close friends. I explored this idea in my novel, Zaide: Mozart's Lost Opera. Operas don’t fill in a lot of backstory holes. Plus, what was Mozart thinking at the time? Did Mozart have a narrative in his head? Did Mozart have this type of relationship with anyone. I read somewhere that he was good friend with the Liberest of Zaide, Johann Andreas Schachtner. But, how deep was it? Or, was he simply longing for this type of friendship? How did Mozart express those musical emotions?

I’ve done various reading, and surely I could and should do a lot more, but only one man sticks out to me as that type of friend, in Mozart’s life. Though, this man came into Mozart’s life after Zaide. Haydn.

Haydn is similar to Allazim in many ways. Not to call him a slavemaster, but he was definitely the middle management of the music world at that time. Yet Haydn was one of the most encouraging historical figures in any genre that I can think of. Mozart? Beethoven? He trudged through the muck for his friends. Fought for them. Like Allazim, he knew what it was like to be mire. Maybe, this world would be a better place if more people fought for others instead of fighting for their own passions.

Unfortunately, I think I’m more like Mozart, than Haydn, in that regard. I want to be an encourager. I try to be. Those types of people are more enjoyable to be around. (And they are often more successful.) Yet even when I try to encourage, I am afraid of--and disgusted by--flattery. I don’t want to say something nice to someone, solely to use them as a piggyback for my success. I want to actually like the things I say I like. Or I’m afraid my sincere comments will be construed as flattery. (Or as creepy stalking.) Maybe that’s the problem, I’m afraid to go through the muck… To take a risk to help someone else.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment