Friday, April 12, 2019

The 80/20 rule of branding

Marketing has never been one of those terms I’ve thought highly of. I mean… Isn’t it just a bunch a annoying guys screaming, “Buy my stuff!” over and over again? But lately with my new ventures, I’ve been trying to figure out this marketing thing. I’ve listened to a lot of guru-esque folks on that newfangled thing called a podcast. I’ve read some blogs and other articles. And, I’ve sucked in some famous quotes from ‘successful’ people. 

A great gob of them throw out this peculiar term, branding. They speak over and over about building a brand. In fact, I remember one of my business classes in college. The professor said that giant companies will often spend more money building their brand, than on the product itself. Such a statement did not make me particularly fond of the term branding. “So, does that mean a company’s primary goal is to get people to believe their pleather is actually leather?” Such thoughts wandered in my head. 


Sure, such cases could be true (and probably are), but what is branding really? One of the podcasts I listened to simply defined it as, “Taking the initiative as to how you want the world to see you.” So, in one sense, we all brand a little. Some people keep quiet, because they don’t want people to think they’re dumb. (Some open their mouths to remove all doubt.) 

Bad quote joke aside, as I try to figure out this branding business, I could ask: “How do I want others to see me?” But perhaps I need to ask, “Why do I want others to see me in such a light?” What is the purpose of branding? For an old curmudgeon, perhaps branding means getting others to leave him alone. For anyone in the business world (and yes the art hemisphere--if one wants to make a living from his or her art), the goal of such branding is to make a living from one’s ventures. To get others to buy his or her goods or services. 

So how does one actually build such a brand? I don’t know. If I knew that, I’d be living in a mountain lake cabin. 

Yet, as I listen to many of these gurus, one piece of advice surfaced. One tidbit I don’t do, but I’m working on it. A number of them seem to agree on the 80/20 rule. If you want to build a significant brand in your field, one must give 80 percent of the value he or she expects to receive. Not only is one to give, he or she must give something meaningful. That means no cheap gimmick. Does that mean one must give 80 percent of product or service for free? No. It simply has to be something of value. Effort, for instance. That could mean one’s time. 

In addition, an individual must give without expecting anything in return. “What? Aren’t we doing this in order to get business?” No. A person is building a brand. Maya Angelou once said, “People will never forget how you made them feel.” Building a solid brand makes people feel good about an individual or organization. Sure, those vacuum salesmen, give a ‘free’ cleaning, but so often people don’t feel good after the high pressure sales tactics some employ afterward. 

Lastly, the giving must feel genuine to the receiver. Tough stuff, no wonder so few really have this branding thing mastered. With the two last two points, I could white-knuckle force myself to do them, but how can I simply make such giving genuine? Giving is risky business. Sure, for a nerdy numbers perspective, one needs to be efficient and not go all M.C. Hammer with giving. But, when a person gives, it will require either time or money (or both). And, it may take years before he or she sees any results. So, how does one get strategic without seeming disingenuous? 

I don’t know. What I do know is that my wife works for a company right now that pays her to give away free prizes and classes solely to build the company's brand. And, they’re one of the most recognizable brands in America. 

Yes. I’m trying to figure it all out myself. I’m out to establish my brand as an author. Yes. I’d love to make a living doing it, but really, I’d just like people to read my work. To consider my thoughts. To share in my imagination. And if you’re interested, I’d love for you to check out my novels. I do free promotions as often as I can.

No comments:

Post a Comment