Friday, March 31, 2017

Caveat Ties and Soul Shocked... Coming April 28th

I've finally done it. I'm self-publishing two of my books. Perhaps, I needed to try harder to get a literary agent. Deep inside, I feel as if I need that validation. Who am I to say my books are any good? Even if I am someone, other people still need to like them, right? So, I waited. I queried... But then a gob of events pushed me over the self-publishing edge. Events that told me I need to take control of my own literary journey. What are they? Well, since every one likes lists, here's 3 factors that made me decide to self-publish. 

3. Most traditionally published authors still have to do much of their own marketing. One of the reasons authors don't want to self-publish is that they don't want to do all that promotion jazz. But, according to my research, publishers often devote most of their resources toward their top sellers. (Sure, I know I'd be a top seller if someone just picked me up, but...) So, many publishers take a bigger cut... And then you still have to do a lot of the work? Plus, authors don't have the right to their own work? Hmmm.

2 I'm not liking a lot of stuff literary agents want. Yeah, this is a subjective world, and there is a particular set of criteria a lot of agents want. I'm not sure I get it. I don't want to be negative about that certain set of particulars. So, I shan't comment. Let's just say, I'm not into that stuff. And, that's fine. Whatever... Another thing I don't get... The stuff they are asking for doesn't seem to be part of the huge sellers either. ??? I guess they're focusing on the niches. And, niches are a more dependable market. And, maybe that's the trouble with what I'm doing. I don't know what niche I fit.

1. I still believe in these works. I've written a lot of stuff. I've started some things, but didn't like where they were going. I've mostly finished some stuff and didn't like where they went. But, Caveat Ties and Soul Shocked won't leave my brain. Are they perfect? Yes... I mean... Who am I to say? But, I am proud of these books. Whether they are good or not?... Well, I'm too biased to say. I simply know, I am proud of these novels. So, I just have to share them.  I can't let them sit. (As if I'm any different than any other author out there.)

Anyway. I plan on doing a mystery night party/book launch on the 28th. The venue I plan on doing it at has this old-timey prison, and I really want to use it as an escape room. I'm talking to some folks to try to make that happen. Fingers crossed.  If you're in the Tea/Sioux Falls area (or even if you're not), stop by, have some fun, even if you don't want to buy a book

If you want to know more about my novels, check out my trailers.

No comments:

Post a Comment