Wednesday, May 10, 2017

Humming Humus

Humus has always bore a certain impression on my brain: Hippy Food. But lately we've been eating a lot of it, especially since we've been trying to eat healthier. And, one of my favorite dips--jalapeño jelly over cream cheese--probably won't cut it as an even moderately acceptable alternative. Now, buying humus can be expensive, so I've been making my own. I think I've got the process down. As of late, I've made this dip that has gotten gobs of compliments. So, I thought I'd share my technique. Besides, I've got no time nor patience to manufacture my own version and sell it.

Simple enough, start out with a can of chickpeas, (some call them garbanzo beans). For the longest time, I've never really liked chickpeas, but as of late, they are starting to grow on me. Plus, they're a healthy alternative to many meats in dishes. Although, pretty much all meat still tastes better. Anyway, take a can of chickpeas, remove 1 quarter to half the juice, and throw it in a blender. The Magic Bullet is the perfect size.

Next, take about 2 tablespoons of Tahini and throw it in. "What's Tahini?" You may ask. It's a Greek thing: a ground sesame seed paste, like peanut butter. It is quite strong, but good. You can find it in the pickle section at some grocery stores. After your Tahini is in, throw in a teaspoon of sea salt, 2 garlic cloves (1 clove if you want it less strong), a splash of lemon juice, and a sprinkle of red pepper (add as much as you want, or none if you don't like spice).

The last ingredient (and my not-so-secret secret ingredient) is black olives. I suppose green olives would make it great too, I just haven't tried it yet. Hmmm. Let me put that on my to-do list.

Once everything is thrown in, blend until it becomes thick. Then wham. You've got yourself a quick, easy, more healthy dip. Great for all kind of snacks and veggies. Another awesome alternative is to use half chick peas and half black beans. Mmmm. That's pretty good too. Either way, play around, throw in what you like. Make your own version of humus. I'm sure you'll love it (unless you just can't stomach chickpeas).

No comments:

Post a Comment