Sunday, July 21, 2019

Declare vs question

I prefer orchestral music to band music. More specifically, I am more moved by woodwind and string instruments than brass and percussion. Likely this is why I am drawn to Mozart in particular. He did not use a lot of brass or percussion. It may have not helped that his father blasted a trumpet at him to scare him into performing better. So, why am I drawn to the wind and string sections? I think it’s the way they approach emotional exploration. 

String and winds question. As they explore various emotional experiences, these two groups simply ask questions. A somber song moves in such a manner saying, “Why am I sad? Should I really be sad? What events caused such sorrow?” The same goes for the emotions of joy and anger. Or, if there is a problem that needs to be tackled, the music questions understanding. In addition, an orchestra is more subtle with its emotions. 


Brass and percussion declare. Whether it be the blasts of trumpets or the thwacks of the drums, band music makes a statement. “I'm happy!” “I’m mad!” “I’m bawling my eyes out!” “We’re going to be victorious over our enemies!” That’s not to say I never enjoy this type of music. Often when I have a specific goal (which I tend not to be a horribly goal-oriented person), I may listen to such music to spur particular emotional states. Of course, I am speaking in generalities. Some woodwinds and string do declare. And some brass and percussion can question. 

My feelings concerning questioning vs. declaring really apply to all forms of art. I prefer art that asks questions. Art that bring invites you to a coffee shop with no agenda and simply asks, “Have you ever thought about…” But, it so often seems that we are bombarded by art that solely declares. And (although it is certainly true) I’m not just speaking of art that is out to hit audiences over the head with a blatant morality tale or political propaganda. But, much of the art out there aims to declare one sense of emotion, or experience, or view point.

Using movies as an example, sad movies set up every scene, every character in order to coax every tear they can once the movie hits that emotional climax. Or, revenge flicks, which get you so angry with the scum who victimize, that you roar with triumph when they get their comeuppance. Or, inspirational movies that make you feel you can conquer the world. Now, I’m not out to say these movies are bad. Just with music that declares, I often watch them when I need to evoke certain emotions, or for motivation. (And, at times I’m also just looking for something that reinforces my own outlook of the world). It’s just these movies rarely stick with me. They rarely change my outlook on life. They don’t challenge. And, those movies that blatantly yell at me that everything I believe is horrible… Well, I’m usually too pissed off to listen. 

Now, I bring up movies, because honestly, most of them are declarative in purpose. Thus, I’m picky. And, when I do pick something, I usually go with something that is declaring something safe, like superhero movies. I know the beats. I know what they’re declaring. I know how I’ll feel after I watch them. Yet, every now and then, a movie does come along that brings up great questions. Fair questions. Questions without agendas, yet tough questions nonetheless. An example of this is (I have mentioned this one a few times) the movie Arrival. I got to the end of it, and I didn’t know how I was supposed to feel. I didn’t know what I was supposed to think. I even teared up a bit, not solely because it was so sad, but because it asked amazing questions. 

Yet, sometimes in art people believe they are questioning when they are in fact declaring. They act as if they are asking questions, yet strive to meticulously craft them in such a way so as to get others to fall in line with a point of view. Perhaps I do this as well... I'm mean in this post aren't I making a gob of authoritative statements?  I'm asking you... That's the rub concerning art that questions: how do we ask questions? Right now, there are so many things I want to ask, but don't know how to ask them. The sincere questions... The ones many would say I'm a fool for even considering that option B. How do I ask those without seeming to have an agenda? Or without actually having an agenda... Even may that agenda be "To provoke". 


Still, there is nothing wrong with offering answers. With declaring where we stand and why we stand there. We all have those things we think, feel, and believe that we want to jump onto a mountaintop and declare to the world. (Or, write in a blog.) But what are the best way to declare them... Or, what is really worth declaring? By which authority do we proclaim it? Why should anyone listen?

So, whether the work be written, visual, audio, or a mixture, I gravitate toward that which questions, explores (unless, maybe, it says exactly what I want to hear). Works that do not give the answer. I tend to write in such ways as well.  Unless, I'm absolutely certain I'm right, then I'll just declare it.

No comments:

Post a Comment